Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

We are on holiday in Spain. My wife has been taking

Hello, we are on holiday in Spain. My wife has been taking allopurinol for three months and a couple of weeks ago got a very sore throat and swollen glands. A Spanish doctor prescribed antibiotics and it seemed to clear up, but the last few days has returned. Should she stop taking the allopurinol for her gout as I have read they can cause infections?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. No, she should not stop the allopurinol because of a single recurrent or persistent infection with no other identified problems. It is not a common side effect for allopurinol to cause infections, but when it does occur, it is because of a decreased number of white blood cells caused by the allopurinol. So, with a single recurrent or persistent infection, the usual approach would be proper treatment for the infection. Stopping the allopurinol would typically only be considered if there was a significantly greater pattern of infections or if there is a decreased white blood count on lab tests. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.