Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My daughter who is nearly 17 years old has been suffering

Customer Question

Hi, my daughter who is nearly 17 years old has been suffering from severe as yet undiagnosed mental health problems since she was 12. Over the years various tests revealed a couple of tiny not-within- the- normal-range values that were not considered serious enough to warrant a further investigation. The latest blood test showed that her prolactin levels a quite low (69mU/l), and her doctor is sure that this cannot be caused by Abilifi as she is on a 10 mg a day and wants to increase the dose as my daughter's condition, after a period of a relative stability, rapidly deteriorated again. But if my daughter's prolactin deficiency is not caused by her medication, something else must be causing it - so what can it be and how can I persuade somebody to do it?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query,There can be several reasons of decreased prolactin levels other than medications and the most important one is dysfunction of pituitary gland which secrete this hormone. Other rare condition is hereditary multihormone dysfunction of pituitary gland due to some genetic mutation. I would suggest you to take your daughter to a endocrinologist for thorough physical examination and further evaluation for the cause. She might need to have imaging of head to look at her pituitary gland. Though there are no specific symptoms of hypoprolacenemia except lack of milk production after child birth but cause should be found as it can be associated with other diseases. So consulting endocrinologist is the best approach.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.