Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have recently flown from the uk back to St martin

hello,
I have recently flown from the uk back to St martin where I am working on board a yacht.
the morning after I arrived back i had a shower and notice the the lymph node on my left groin was swollen and saw, (the one on the right is not noticeable).
This came on over night as I had a shower the morning before my flight and I didn't have it then.
It is now the day after and the pain has subsided but the lymph is still swollen and hard, very slightly tender.
When I got out of the shower on the day I noticed it i was very light headed and shaking but no sweats and only a slight loss in appetite , but I'm not sure if thats due to the time difference and re adjusting ?
I don't feel ill and Ive no history of illness, generally fit and strong male 32.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Whether a swollen lymph node in the groin should be checked quickly would be dependent upon the severity of the pain. In most cases, a swollen lymph node in the groin is a reactive lymph node and is not a concern. However, if there is significant pain,warmth, or redness associated with the swollen lymph node, there is a concern that there is an infection in the lymph node and antibiotics may be necessary. The light headed feeling and shakiness could be related to adjust to the new time zone, but it also could be a non-specific symptom related to an infection, most often from a viral infection. Since the pain has subsided and the lymph node is currently only very slightly tender, this does not sound like there is a level of pain that would indicate that the lymph node needs to be checked. As long a it does not develop increasing pain, warmth, or redness, it would be fine to simply monitor it, and it will likely resolve over several days to a week or so. It also would be appropriate to be drinking plenty of fluids to help with hydration and prevent any further light headed feeling. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you.I can confirm that there is no pain warmth or redness that is worth noting, i am just aware of it now. I shall monitor it for the next week.If it remains swollen and hard (after a week) but without any other symptoms would you advise having it looked at?Thank youWill
Yes, if it persists and is not going down after a week or two, it would be appropriate to get it checked. If it is present, but getting smaller, it would be fine to give it some more time.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you very much.