Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I have my PSA checked twice a year and it has 'averaged' 1.3-1.6..certainly

Customer Question

I have my PSA checked twice a year and it has 'averaged' 1.3-1.6..certainly generally below 2..however this time it is 2.75..how should I react? doctor seems to think it's 'normal'
I am conscious that I need to urinate more and the need comes on quicker and more often.i am told i have weak muscles 'down below' ,can generally 'hold it' but can be tricky sometimes.
Was in London today for a reunion and overall needed to urinate 9 times ..that's from early morning to going to bed .feel pretty tender/slightly strained in that area.
My general health is good..I am 63,walk and train regularly,do Pilates and play hockey but
This is becoming more uncomfortable.
What are your thoughts?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidyour PSA levels have jumped up in a percentage format.if you are urinating more, you could be having enlargement of your prostate gland which can cause higher PSA levels and also more frequent urination and poor urine flow.you need to see a urologist and get an evaluation of your prostate gland to see who large it isyou might benefit from medications like flomax or hytrin to help improve urine flow.drinking more alcohol or caffeine can cause more frequent urination as well.prostate infection or sexual activity can cause prostate swelling and frequent urination and also elevation of your PSA levels as well.is your prostate gland enlarged?