DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I'm wondering if you can help I've got bipolar and am

I'm wondering if you can help I've got bipolar and am taking 600 of lithium which up till about a month ago was working fine latterly I've noticed iv go bk to how I am when not taking it ie drink heavy bk on cocaine and sleepers to control night time I really wondering if the dose needs to be changed or if I need to take something along side it as well
Lee
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloIt is up to your doctor, but yes, the dose can be increased.Alternatively, a mood stabilizing drug can be used, or a combination of such drugs instead of lithium.I would suggest you modestly increase the dose.However, given the toxicity of lithium long term, you might want to discuss combination therapy with your doctor. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.