Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My father has aggressive prostate cancer and has had stents

My father has aggressive prostate cancer and has had stents put from kidneys directly to bladder, he has pig valves in his heart too, he was in kidney failure a few weeks ago (which is how cancer found) estrogen implant in stomach now. Only one kidney is working and PSA levels are climbing. He now has a kidney infection and antibiotics are not working. He drinks litres of water but is eating very little. He is trying juiced parsley to clear infection.
What can he take to try and help this?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Sorry to hear about your father.At the present moment, is the reduced appetite his major issue like you mentioned?Has he been seen for this problem?Any blood tests done recently?Has he been given something to improve his appetite?Please let me know.Regards
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. DavidI am a cancer doctor.he should have had a lupron or leuprolide injection to take away testosterone out of his system.he should be on casodex therapy as well to prevent lupron flair up of his testosteroneif his PSA continues to go up, he should then be placed on second anti-androgens such as zytiga or xanti.he needs a bone scan to see if his prostate cancer has spread to his bonehe needs to see a radiation oncology doctor to get radiation to his prostate to shrink his cancer and prevent blockage of his uretershe might need a nephrostomy tube as well to save his kidneys.he needs his urine cultured to see what infection is growing and what antibiotic should be used to fight the infection.some urinary tract infection bacteria can be resistant to certain antibiotics.a urine culture and bacterial sensitivity and resistance panel can see what antibiotics should be used.medical marijuana, marinol, megace, can help stimulate his appetite.let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has already had the nephrostomy tubes fitted. The kidneys infection is severe but antibiotics are not working.
He has had bone scan and sees oncologist on Thursday but already told advanced and aggressive at biopsy.
We don,t know what to do to help right now or what to expect.
Can you help please.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
he needs to get his urine cultured and sensitivity and resistance panelhis infection could be resistant to the antibiotic used now.ask his oncologist about second line antiandrogen therapy such as zytiga or xantiask about xofigo therapy if his prostate cancer has spread to his bone.ask about radiation therapy to the prostate gland to shrink the cancer to prevent local extention and problems.ask to test his blood levels for testosterone to make sure testosterone levels are very very low, close to zero.he also has options for chemotherapy such as taxotere, but his infection would have to be controlled.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
do you have other questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are in northern Ireland , do you know if these treatments are available here? Even medical marijuana is illegal here, any other herbal remedies you think would help until we see doc.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
these treatments are available thereask your oncologist about it.ask about radiation which is available.ask about lupron therapy also called luprelideyour doctors can do urine cultures and sensitivity and resistance panelslet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician