Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have no appetite, haven't eaten anything since last Tuesday.

Customer Question

I have no appetite, haven't eaten anything since last Tuesday. Feel constantly sick. Can't sleep, every time I seem to drop off I jerk and it wakes me up, my heart is pounding all the time
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi, What is your age and gender?Do you take any medications and any previously diagnosed conditions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am female aged 49, went to a and e last Friday with chest pains but they found nothing, on no medication at the moment
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Is there any new stress or an element of anxiety?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just anxious of these paplptations, and not being able to sleep and feeling constantly sick
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the details.At this point in time the most significant investigation to perform will be a thyroid function test. Thyroid dysfunction often presents with symptoms similar to yours - palpitations, lack of sleep, altered appetite, lethargy, anxiety etc.I would suggest that you visit your doctor and discuss this with him. The simple blood test can confirm or rule out thyroid dysfunction. Thyroid disorders usually present in the 4th or 5th decade of life and are more pronounced in the female gender.After ruling thyroid out, premenopausal hormonal fluctuations should also be considered and worked up for.Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars at the top corner of your screen.Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had test for thyroid , came back fine, still having funny feelings, like fluttering, feeling of a fast heart beat but my pulse is fine. Still feeling sick, still have diarraheo and still have no appetite. Feel faint and dizzy at times.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Did the doctor feel the need to get an EKG and electrolyte testing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that the same as an ECG?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Went to the cardiac clinic a couple of days ago, had loads of tests done, ECG , blood pressure , couldn't find anything wrong with my heart which is good. I'm still left with the no appetite, cannot sleep at all, feeling really lousy. Tossing and turning in bed had about 2 hours sleep in the last 24
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Any recent stress or anxiety?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes to both I suppose, worried about my heart but I know that's fine now, and now worried cos I can't sleep. It feels like a wave of something comes over me just as I'm nodding off and it prevents me from dropping off. Have no energy, and now I keep feeling suicidal as I'm fed up with it all.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply.I would strongly urge that you visit your GP and have him/her make a referral to a psychiatrist. Suicidal tendency, sleeplessness and anxiety are all signs of depression and you might need a little help from the psychiatrist for these genuine concerns.