Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am due to have total knee replacement. On my pre assessment

I am due to have total knee replacement. On my pre assessment my ggt was 71. I am a moderate wine drinker. I am on paracetamol 500mg up to 4 a day. Omperazole one daily. Naproxen twice daily. What is the quickest way to get my gggt reduced and how long will it take. Prior to my diagnosis I took paracodol daily
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Of these substances, the most likely to be causing an increase of the GGT would be the alcohol and the paracetamol. Statistically, it is more likely to be related to the moderate wine intake than this dose of paracetamol, but if you want to be certain to reduce the GGT, it would be more likely to work if both are stopped. So, the quickest way to reduce the GGT would be to stop the alcohol and paracetamol. The time that it will take to return to normal will vary from a couple weeks to a month or two. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance on any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/