Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I'm 32, never had any previous stomach problems but 7 months

I'm 32, never had any previous stomach problems but 7 months ago I went to bed ok and woke up in horrendous pain in my abdomen. Ended up having to go into hospital as the pain was killing me. I could have sworn something had burst or was about to.
Kept in hospital for a couple of days, Blood pressure was sky high but blood tests came back normal, ultrasound revealed no kidney stones etc. I was put on gaviscon, buscapan and lanzoprasole and sent home. They diagnosed it as gastritis because they couldn't find anything else.
Endoscopy results came back clear too with nothing obvious. They said that H. pylori test was also clear.
For the last 7 months I have been in constant discomfort every day occasionally getting stabs of pain that last maybe 30 mins to an hour. I'm no longer on buscapan, lanzoprasole or gaviscon. For last 2 month I have been taking omepreazole but last Wednesday I had awful pains again that wiped me out for a couple of days. On top of the pain, I couldn't eat, had no energy and had really bad headaches with it too (just like when I went in hospital originally). Starting to feel better now up I have no apetite and my head is still fuzzy though not painful.
Doctor has now told me to stop taking omepreazole and has given me mebeverine as he thinks it might be IBS. To me though my symptoms sound different from everything I have read about or heard about with IBS.
Before this happened I was quite fit and active, now I can't exercise because that brings on immediate pain. I have a young family and can't even run around the park with them which is really upsetting.
I cant pin it down to anything, I've tried cutting out foods and reintroducing them but I can't pin it to anything obvious. The discomfort is just always there. I have no idea what caused the flare up last week, I didn't eat anything I hadn't already been eating over the last 7 months. I'm scared to go on holiday or even on long walks now because I just don't know when I'm going to flare up again
I have been told that the H. pylori test can be negative from the endoscopy but could still be there, should I ask for another type of test? Is there anything else that it could be?
Thank you for taking time to read this
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Is the pain continuous or intermittent?Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is always discomfort. I'm always aware that its uncomfortable and something doesn't feel right but the majority of the time I can put it to the back of my mind and get on with things.
Other times i get more of a sharp pain that lasts up to 30 mins and these come and go. I can't see any pattern, sometimes I wake up with them in the morning, they can happen during the day or evenings.Obviously the 2 big flair ups speak for themselves and are in a different league
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I think that you must be investigated for a condition that is called as acute intermittent porphyria.This condition not only causes abdominal pain that may be persistent or intermittent but also can cause very high blood pressure at times.So I would recommend that you should have a test that is called as urine for porphobilinogen.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you for your advice.Are there any tests I can ask to be done that might check for multiple things (including this) or is it just a case of eliminating one thing at a time?I really don't feel like I have made any progress in 7 months and keen to try and get back to normal as soon as I can
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
The test for this is called as urine for porphobilinogen.You should request this test if you have not had this test done already.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards