Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years experience
54412793

Past few weeks I have had awful tinnitus in my left

Customer Question

For the past few weeks I have had awful tinnitus in my left ear along with fullness and earache. I also feel horrible pressure and tension on left cheek, left side of the nose. My nose is either dripping or dry and burning. This week I now have tinnitus in right ear too. Both ears fele full, make alot of popping and cracking noises. Have tried nasal sprays etc and all they do is make my ears squeak no relief at all. I find when I am eating this creates a pulsating sensation. Ive noticed a grinding sound in my jaw too. Could this be sinusitis? Is it common to feel odd?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified physician. I can help you today. I'm sorry to hear about your discomfort. Yes it is possible that your symptoms are related to the sinus passages or the inner ear. It's possible that the nasal spray isn't a strong enough medication or is just getting to the lower sinuses while the trouble is elsewhere. An over the counter remedy to try to treat the symptoms more fully is an antihistamine diphenhydramine. This medication is sedating so should be tried at bedtime at about 25-50 mg dose. If this helps, it can be used for a few days to see if the symptoms are viral and/or resolve on their own. If the symptoms persist, an evaluation by a primary care physician or an ear, nose and throat specialist would be in order. I hope this information was helpful and you feel better soon. Let me know if I can clarify anything or add details.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your very prompt response. I have epilepsy and take tegretol retard so I am reluctant to take anything with a sedating affect. I had a sickness and diarrheoa virus for one month (very draining) and this is something that came on during that time. I forgot to mention I have been given amoxicillan only taken for one day so far.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
In that case, whoever prescribed the amoxicillin felt that the situation was bacterial. In that case, you'd want to finish off the prescription fully and follow-up with that doctor if the symptoms don't clear. Anything else?