Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have just had a really bad cold/flu infection - temperature

I have just had a really bad cold/flu infection - temperature for three days, chesty cough etc. My period was due to start the day after I got ill but didn't come. It's now 5 days later and still no sign. I'm 35 and suffer from endometriosis and I am getting rather worried about why it hasn't shown up. My temperature has been normal for two days. I'm pretty certain I'm not pregnant (protection is always used). Can being ill with flu delay a period?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Yes, it is possible that a flu, can delay a period. In reality, any acute illness can delay a period. It is a non-specific effect of an acute illness, rather than anything unique to having a flu. In a woman that could be pregnant, it is still important to perform pregnancy testing, rather than to assume that it is due to the acute illness. But if pregnancy is not possible or is excluded, it is appropriate to say that the delayed period is due to the acute illness. Whether you can exclude pregnancy based on the consistent use of protection would depend upon the method of protection. If you mean that condoms are consistently used, that is not considered good enough to exclude pregnancy. If condoms were the method of protection, then it would still be appropriate to get a pregnancy test done. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.