Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I havent been feeling well while. I have been experiencing

Customer Question

Hi!
I havent been feeling well for a while. I have been experiencing a lot of pain in my chest (tightness and stabbing) and a few times I have had palpitations. I am wearing a ECG weekly device but I havent experienced any of the palpitations while wearing it.
Today My chest feels really tight and I have noticed that I am getting yellow stains under my eyes.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Have you had any other heart tests before the current ECG weekly device?What treatment is being used for the heartburn?Is there any tenderness when pressing on the chest in the area of the pain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,No I haven't had any tests done before that.
For the heartburn they prescribed omeprazole which really helped.
There used to be tenderness but not so much anymore. Most of the time the pain is right in the middle of my chest or on the left side.
Thank you for the additional information. Although the first concern in someone with chest pain is that it could be from the heart, it is unusual for a 28 year old female to have heart disease related to poor blood supply to the heart. It is possible to have certain anatomic or congenital changes that can predispose a person to abnormal heart rhythms, but the serious type of heart pain is very unusual in someone of your age. Depending upon what was found on exam, your doctor may have ordered an echocardiogram, an ultrasound imaging test of the heart, and since no echocardiogram was ordered, that would be a good sign of the findings on exam. Further testing may need to be done based on the results of the ECG weekly test, if a worrisome abnormal heart rhythm is found to be present. In young adults, the most common cause of chest pain is from musculoskeletal chest problems or from GI problems. Musculoskeletal problems can be related to inflammation in the rib cage or from muscle spasm of the muscles that attach to the rib cage. If there is tenderness when pressing in the area of pain, that would suggest a musculoskeletal cause of the pain, and it would be reasonable to treat with an anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It also may help to apply moist heat to the chest. There are several GI problems that can cause chest pain, and acid reflux is one of the common problems, which would be suspected in someone with heartburn. The acid irritation of the esophagus also can cause spasm of the esophagus. If the omeprazole has helped with the heartburn, but not the chest pain, that would suggest that the chest pain is not directly due to acid irritation. However, it is still common to first try to augment the effect of the omeprazole by adding a liquid antacid to see if the chest pain improves. It is worth noting that palpitations can be associated with any condition that causes chest pain, either because of anxiety induced by having chest pain or by causing changes that is perceived a palpitations, such as muscle spasms. So, palpitations are not always a sign of heart disease. If the ECG weekly test does not show any abnormal heart rhythms, that would support that the palpitations are due to one of these other conditions. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, Thank you for your advice, I was just worried that it could be related to a dysfunction of my heart.
I don't need further information ;)Bye
Your symptoms are not such that heart dysfunction would be a concern, but in reality, the absence of findings on exam is more reassuring, and since your doctor did not request an echocardiogram, that would indicate that there were no findings on exam, as I noted above.