Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am getting over what I think was norovirus but now I am having

Customer Question

I am getting over what I think was norovirus but now I am having intermittent cramping pain along where my ribs are- just below my breasts. I think it's better when I sit up and worse when I lie down. What do you think it is and what can I do?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. One of the symptoms that can occur with a norovirus infection is muscle cramps. These muscle cramps can occur anywhere on the body, including the muscles of within and attached to the rib cage. The muscle cramps also can occur when many of the other symptoms are improving. So, the most likely cause of the cramping pain along the ribs is a direct symptom from the viral infection. However, the other major consideration is whether there is any dehydration, as even mild dehydration can cause muscle cramping, and it can be worse if there is any abnormal levels of electrolytes associated with the dehydration. And when the virus is already causing muscle cramping, dehydration can make the cramping significantly worse. So, it would be appropriate to increase the amount of fluid intake, and particularly fluids that contain electrolytes, such as fruit juices or sports drinks. It also may help ease symptoms to take acetaminophen or to apply moist heat to the rib cage in the area of the cramping. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.