Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am 41 years of age, an aviation professional, and train regularly.

I am 41 years of age, an aviation professional, and train regularly. I recently had a medical for work which included an ECG and a listen through the stephoscope and everything appeared normal. However, I seem to have developed a very occasional heart flutter but I have checked my pulse during one of these and it appears normal - not too slow or fast.
I also have no pain and can continue at the gym no problems what so ever.
I have spoken to a doc on here and he suggested fluids, magnesium and potassium to eleviate the symptoms. While these flutters have decreased they are still apparent. Any ideas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's hard to describe what it feels like but almost like a missed beat or an extra one
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Can you please let me know if you have any other medical problems?On any medications for anything at the moment?Have you been under a lot of stress recently?Do you take a lot of caffeinated beverages?Please let me know.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no conditions that I know of and do not take any medications.
Caffeine intake: one or two green tea and one or two coffees, but no pop
Stress: yes very stressful month of February with the yearly medical, annual check and line check. Also potential career move.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.The most likely cause of your heart issue seems to be increased amount of stress and a little bit of caffeine that you are taking.Does not seem likely to be anything serious or anything to worry about at all.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is caffeine cumulative? I know stress can be and also the company are working me quite hard so fatigue could be a factor.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes caffeine is something that can have a cumulative effect.Fatigue certainly could be a factor as well, I totally agree with you.Let me know if you have more questions.Rate me when you are done.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your help I will try and chill