Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

After 4 days of laxatives I think the impaction has gone but

Customer Question

After 4 days of laxatives I think the impaction has gone but I am left with a softish lump in my stomach area. Is that undigested food or should I still go for a scan.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. In someone that has just had improvement with a recent impaction, it is very likely that a soft lump is some retained undigested food, but it is impossible to say with certainty. However, if there are no other symptoms, it is reasonable to continue the laxatives for another day or two and see if the lump resolves. If the lump resolves with another couple days of laxative, that would be good evidence that this was retained undigested food, and no further evaluation would be necessary. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply which I am quite happy with.With regards ***** ***** how good you were or efficient or anything I do not answer such questions on principal. If something is wrong I would as politely as possible say so - this is the same answer I give everyone who asks the same question. You may gather that I do not approve of being asked by anyone this type of question.Anne Hunt
The rating can be based on whatever criteria you prefer.