Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I've been off the pill months now as we are trying to

Customer Question

I've been off the pill for 3 months now as we are trying to conceive.
Today I am supposed to be ovulating but instead I have woken up with a very heavy period. No warning signs at all.
I'm not due my period for another two weeks.
What could this mean?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Any woman may have an occasional early period for no particular reason, so this may not mean anything. However, since you recently quit taking the pill, it may also mean that your system has not yet become regular. The time until a woman becomes regular after stopping the pill can vary significantly. 3 months is about average, but it can be longer in some women, and the chances that it may take longer is greater in women that were taking the pill for a longer period of time. It is also important to note that many women find that higher levels of stress also can affect their menstrual cycle, and this can be related to both physical or emotional stress. There are also systemic medical conditions that can affect bleeding patterns, such as thyroid disease, but we typically are not concerned about these problems unless an abnormal bleeding pattern is persistent. In this situation, there usually is no need for evaluation unless you are having other symptoms. Unfortunately, you will not have an opportunity to get pregnant during this cycle, but you should continue to try with the next cycle. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If I can assist you with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/