Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

There Whenever I take oxytetracycline skin, I get

Hi there
Whenever I take oxytetracycline for my skin, I get a side effect of a sore on my penis.
After taking oxytetracycline for a month or so it went away.
Now a year later I've just stopped taking oxytetracycline (about a week ago) and the sore has come back. Is this a norma occurrence for side effects?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query,Yes such kind of rash or hives are known side effects of the drug. Most probably it will go away on its own. If it remains after a month or so or cause any problems like itch or bleed you should get it examined by your doctor to rule out any other condition.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** wasn't so much wondering about whether it was a side effect. I was asking if it's usual for a side effect to return now I've stopped taking the drug. Please recheck the question as it gives the timings. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Yes it can take a while for this type of rash to appear even if you have stopped taking the drug it remains in your system for some time. So nothing much to worry about. Let me know if you have further questions.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok but that still doesn't answer the question I'm afraid. It already appeared when I first took the drug so I'm not concerned with it taking a while to appear. OK I'll rephrase.
I took a drug, I got a side effect, the side effect stopped after 2 months whilst I continued to take the drug for a year.
When I stopped taking the drug a week ago the side effect returned.
So what I'm asking is, can side effects that have already calmed down, return specifically when you STOP using a drug?
(Because if that's unlikely to happen then the sore is probably caused by something else such as an STD.)
thanks. Hopefully that's clearer.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Ok i got it, thanks for making it clear.No it is not likely that this is side effect in this scenario. It can be STD and it might be STD in the first place even. In any case I would suggest you to get STD screening to be on safe side.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.