Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I have questions sister. Last week she had epilepsy

Hi I have questions for my sister. Last week she had epilepsy symptoms she fall on the ground and her body move she's bite her tongue. When we take her to the hospital they did MRI for her and all tests they found that she has a tumour in her pituitary gland but is not cancer thanks god. The doctor gave her medicine and told us she needs to take it and after tow months they will do MRI if the medical doesn't work they have to do operation. My question is if she does the operation is that effect her? Do u advice to do it?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Are her doctors telling you the tumor in her pituitary gland is responsible for her seizure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes they are.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Did they call it a prolactinoma?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they didn't. Just told us what I write in the question. Also she has problem with her Thyroid Gland
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Prolactinoma is the most common type of hormone-producing tumor that can develop in the pituitary gland. It commonly occurs in young women. Though non-cancerous, if left untreated, a prolactinoma may grow large enough to compress the optic nerve resulting in visual changes. With larger prolactinomas, pressure on the normal gland can cause dysfunction of other hormones controlled by it, resulting in hypothyroidism, adrenal insufficiency, growth hormone deficiency, decreased bone density and an increased risk of osteoporosis.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
The good news is that oral medications often can decrease the production of prolactin, eliminate symptoms, and shrink the tumor. Long-term treatment with medications is sometimes necessary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm her sister and I'm so worry about her do u think the medical will help her and if she has to do operation do recommend it?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
If drug therapy for prolactinoma doesn't work or she can't tolerate the medication, surgery to remove her tumor may be necessary. It can relieve pressure on the nerves that control vision and help hormone levels return to normal. In many cases, drug therapy is then no longer needed.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
If surgery is needed, the tumor is often removed through the nasal cavity. Complication rates are low with this approach because no other areas of the brain are touched during surgery, and it leaves no visible scars. Talk to her doctors about this if her response to medication is not optimal.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
She should do fine either way if she is in good overall health...especially if she has a good team of doctors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any danger is she does the operation? And if the gave to do it do they open her brain or what? Sorry doctor I know it's a lot of questions but I'm so worry also what's the success rat of the operation?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Success rates are very high in the hands of experienced surgeons, especially with the transsphenoidal approach (i.e. through the nose)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She lives in Jordan. Do u recommend to do it in specific country?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
The best approach is often to seek care at an academic medical center (i.e. where they have a medical school). These institutions typically have the most experienced doctors who are on the leading edge of their fields.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do they need to open the brain the operation or through the nose?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
The technique depends largely on the size and extent of the tumor, but most can be removed through the nose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much doctor for answering my question and your patient. Hopefully I can contact u in the next time
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best for your sister.