DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am based in London and a chronic Psoriasis sufferer since

Customer Question

I am based in London and a chronic Psoriasis sufferer since the age of 4. My PASI is high across most of the body.
Now 40, I have found that Phototherapy & Sunlight in general have been the most successful treatments for my skin. My last phototherapy Hospital sessions were in early 2015.
I have used only topical treatments otherwise, and never the harder drugs eg: Methotrexate.
I am considering the purchase and home-use of a Phototherapy unit, such as the following:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabinet-Phototherapy-Narrowband-treatment-psoriasis/dp/B00E8CGO4W/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1456894958&sr=8-9&keywords=psoriasis+lamps
Would you recommend this home-use? Or opt for a Methotrexate or Biologic treatment?
POB
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HiLogically if phototherapy works best for you, and if your doctor agrees [we do not replace your doctors opinion], and you can afford it, then home therapy is the way to go, as long as you are monitored.Why go to more side effects? with the drugs? Not sure what you are asking really, but personally I would want to avoid stronger and potentially more problematic drug treatment if I could.That said, low dose methotrexate is pretty well tolerated, as are other regimens if done correct. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Question - what level of 'monitoring' is needed, per your comment?Question - 'Non Conventional Methods' = ???
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Generally regular doctor visits on his schedule with you.I approach psoriasis as followsA: a nutrient dense, anti inflammatory diet.The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like thisleafy greensgreen veggiesother veggieswhole fruit, beans and peasWhole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refinedSeeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.A little tofu or tempeh dailyA little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurtThe soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.B: Classical homeopathy. I have treated a number of cases of psoriasis and they have all responded, cure in many cases. However, you need a well trained, years experienced, classical homeopathy.See these sites:http://www.britishhomeopathic.org/http://homeopathy-soh.org/ Despite propaganda to the contrary, homeopathy has 24 meta analyses on studies with 22 positive in favor of homeopathy.It works very well for autoimmune diseases. "Consitutional" treatment is very effective.