DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My husband has developed irritating itch on arms, legs and

My husband has developed irritating itch on arms, legs and back and tiny red blotches (flat) mainly on his back and a small number on arms. Dermatologist says he is allergic to cats (we have two). We've had these two cats for more than 5 years and previously we had cats for 18 -20 years. No ointment seems to clear the rash. Any ideas?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Helloplease attach a picture here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid I can't do that as I am consulting you without his knowledge. The blotches look like shingles without the blisters or German Measles. Normal temperature just itching, tiny blotches and is irritating, some days worse than others and it's been over two months since he saw a dermatologist. We have had an infestation of caterpillars in the country and he goes running first thing in the morning on a Sunday and comes home drenched with sweat. There is a lot of greenery and trees en route
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
We do not diagnose on line.And a rash needs to be diagnosed, especially a persistent rash.What did the dermatologist say?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After dismissing other things, she said that he was allergic to our cats. As I said previously. none of thepills and antihistamines ointments seem to work.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
OkWhat is your exact question?Is he still being exposed to cats?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We do have two cats - one short haired and one long haired tabby. They've been banned from the bedroom but roam the rest of the house and outside. I wondered whether it could be to do with poor circulation? I am the one that suffered from allergic reaction to cats.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
If he is continuing to be exposed and is allergic, the meds would not necessarily help.The best way to be sure about this is to have a piece of the rash sent to the lab.This is called a punch biopsy and the dermatologist can do it.This will identify if this isallergicinfectiousautommunerare conditionother problem.I would suggest the punch biopsy. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, anytime.I don't see a positive rating.We are only paid per rating , for bonuses and for accepted additional services offer.Please at least click a positive rating so that I receive a basic compensation from justanswer.Thanksgood lucklet me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I have found your answers helpful - at least I can make a few suggestions to my husband as I am quite certain it is not an allergy to our cats. Rate: Good
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome anytime.However, I see no positive ratings, and have not been paid. Please do not forget that, we are only paid per positive rating, for bonuses and for accepted additional services offers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already rated the service with 4 stars.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
It just came up now.Thanks.