Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have been breathless weeks - I am an asthmatic

I have been breathless for three weeks - I am an asthmatic with normal peak flow readings, not on a preventer inhaler. Dr prescribed a week of Prednilosone (sp) but there was not much change. Been off that for 10 days, still very uncomfortable. There is some clear mucus, not much coughing, and I wake 2-3 times a night desperate for an inhaler - very scary. Am taking my salbutamol 8-10 times a day right now. But peak flows (normal 500) never dropped yet below 425 - is this asthma or something else?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.I think that with the symptoms that you are mentioning, with normal PEF readings, I would recommend that you should be tested to rule out pulmonary embolish (clot in the lungs).This will require blood thinners if proven.The diagnostic test of choice for this is a CT pulmonary angiogram.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr SH. I have no unusual chest or back pain however (I have scoliosis so have intermittent pain anyway) and the breathlessness can go away for a couple of hours before returning - is this consistent with pulmonary embolism? My sister suffered from DVT, so I am a little worried now. I have no unusual dizziness and have not fainted for a few months. One other thing is that this breathlessness came on after a cold, but the doctor listened to my chest and found no signs of chest infection. I notice the symptoms feel worse when out in the cold air, or on exertion, though they can happen indoors without exertion too.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Showers of pulmonary embolism can cause intermittent shortness of breath.I would like that you should have a CTPA (CT Pulmonary angiogram) to rule out a pulmonary embolus or clot.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards