Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I was wondering if you could help me with a stomach

Hello, I was wondering if you could help me with a stomach issue. I’ve been told I’ve the h. pylori bacteria; and yet I find I’m only affected by it under two situations; 1) If I drink alcohol: is alcohol dangerous to those affected by the h. pylori bacteria? 2) if I get stressed while eating. The symptoms are upset stomach, mild nausea and ‘gassiness’ relieved by belching. About 24 hours ago, I got stressed because I ate some tinned sardines, and they tasted ‘off’, so I threw them away. Now I’ve got an upset stomach as described (no vomiting though). However, I’m wondering if instead, I may have the beginnings of food poisoning, and should I see a doctor about it. Also, I’ve hypothyroidism, and am aware this can cause stomach upset. I’ve been told to take 150 mcg a day, but am only taking 100, and have felt fine: I’m nervous about increasing the dosage in case I suffer sysmptoms. Could this be causing me problems with my stomach too?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidtaking levothyroxine thyroid hormone will not upset your stomach and 150mcg will not upset your stomach. you need to take this on an empty stomach for best absorption of your medications.alcohol can upset your stomach worse if you have H Pylori bacterial infection in your stomachyou need to get this treated with triple therapy of 2 antibiotics and 1 proton pump inhibitor medicationdid your doctors recommend this to you already?gassiness and belching are signs your stomach is producing too much stomach acid, partly due to H Pylori bacterial infection in your stomach.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Do you think I may have food poisoning from the 'off ' sardines, doctor? Or is it likely to be h. pylori? I have no symptoms other than upset stomach and 'gassiness'. Could it be food poisoning?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
it doesn't sound like this is food poisoningfood poisoning tends to cause vomiting and watery diarrhea. it sounds like your stomach is raw and inflamed from alcohol use, salted fish which is bad for your stomach, H Pylori infection.you need to get your H Pylori treated.and you need to avoid alcohol and spicy foods, fried foods, tomato sauces for now until you get your H Pylori stomach bacteria treated.did your doctors give you a treatment plan for triple therapy of 2 antibiotics and a proton pump stomach acid blocker?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much, doctor, yes they gave me the 3-prong treatment; I should do that...as you say, I think it's a flare-up of the h-pylori...

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, flare up of the H PyloriI would eat more of a bland diet now until you get your H Pylori treated, like toast, rice, bananas, chicken broth, avoid salted fish, black pepper, spicy foods, tomato sauces, oily or fatty foods.you should take a probiotic when you take the antibioitcs to prevent antibiotic caused diarrhea.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com