Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My partners dad was diagnosed with hiv 5.5years ago. 2 years

Customer Question

My partners dad was diagnosed with hiv 5.5years ago. 2 years ago he was tested for syphalis (via a blood test) which came back negative. within the last 6 months he's had numerous strokes, and just this week he has had a lumber puncture done, which has confirmed he has neuro syphalis . The question is, should this lumber puncture have been carried out at the time he was tested positive for hiv? Which could have spared him months of strokes, where now he can't speak or move? I'm concerned now, as since I have read up on it, they say people who are tested positive for hiv are most likely to have had syphalis first, which makes it 5 times more likely to contract the HIV virus. We can't understand why this has taken so long.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidhis test for syphilis test was negative 2 years ago.if that test was positive, he should have had more syphilis testing back then.that is too bad his test 2 years ago was negative. that might have been a false result.I am sorry about your partners father.let me know if you have other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** he was tested postive for hiv, would they not have automatically tested for syphalis then? The doctors say he has probably has the virus 10-20 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The doctor told us today, that the test taken two years ago was probably a false one. . I'm just confused that this test wasn't done at the time he was tested for hiv? Or, when he had his first stroke, and also with his condition, I am very surprised that it's taken months for this lumber puncture to be done? It's taken for him to have several strokes for tests to be done?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, they should have tested him for syphilis when he was diagnosed with HIV. the tests could have been negative at that point as well.The prozone phenomenon in syphilis testing refers to a false negative response resulting from overwhelming antibody titers which interfere with the proper formation of the antigen-antibody lattice network necessary to visualize a positive flocculation testhis HIV could have caused this prozone phenomenon to cause his syphilis testing to be negative.http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/477644I'm not sure if you can get that article.