Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I noticed a small lump in my throat at the front. After

Customer Question

hi,
I noticed a small lump in my throat at the front. After this, my lymph nodes have swollen up. I have had both since November. I went to see my GP who sent me for an ultrasound on my neck. The lump in my throat is pretty small but they said that it would need further testing. I am being sent for a biopsy mri and additional ultra sound. What is confusing me is that the doctor said that my swollen lymph nodes are not related to the lump. I also have nausea and some sickness, fatigue and occasional dihorreia as well as minor and occasional bouts of heart palpations, I have atrial tribulation and tachycardia but it does not tend to play up too often as I had two procedures back in 2008 that got rid of most of the abnormal cells. I also have migraine with aura. The doctors have not asked about these symptoms and no one has told me why my lymph nodes are swollen. Also, I was given anti biotics and she said it would take the swollen lymph nodes down which it hasn't. She mentioned something about possible tb but I have not been sent for any tests. I have not been vaccinated for tb. I now have a chesty cough which is not terrible but I didn't have it before. My gp is so busy that they rarely even answer the phone. I am not sure what to do as I don't want to make a fuss but I am concerned
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Do you have the report from the first ultrasound?Have you had a chest x-ray? Or a skin test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lump is on my neck the ultrasound was of my neck on the NHS UK. They said that it was a cluster of blood cells but other than that they didn't tell me anything. The tests I have had is the ultrasound of my neck , full blood count and thyroid test. I have a biopsy scheduled for 31 March on the lump on my neck along with a neck MRI. The ENT specialist put a camera inside my nose he said he wasn't worried. The ENT specialist didn't notice the fact that my lymph nodes were swollen I had to show him. The blood count and thyroid were fine. I have had no other tests or mention of them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My doctor has the report I haven't seen it, sorry I should have mentioned that. The NHS is under a lot of strain as I am sure you know, they don't tell you much and everything is understandbly done to avoid cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have added two forms that I was given to book my appointment, hopefully you can see them.
An ultrasound of the neck is the usual first test to evaluate a neck lump or swollen lymph nodes. The appearance of either on the ultrasound would be a guide to the level of concern about each problem. A cluster of blood vessels is commonly used to describe a hemangioma, but hemangioma usually does not need to be biopsied. The report may have said that there was a tumor with many blood vessels around the tumor, and that would make more sense from the perspective of the fact that a biopsy is scheduled as the next test. The ultrasound will also usually give an indication of the origin of the lump. After lymph nodes, the most common cause of lumps in the neck are from the thyroid, and one of these two forms refers to the isthmus, which is the central part of the thyroid. Growths that arise from the thyroid is most often benign, such as a cyst or adenoma, but also can be malignant, and a biopsy is the usual method for determining the type of growth. It is also important to note that many thyroid growths are not hormonally active, so the thyroid blood tests would be normal. An ultrasound usually will also provide clues about swollen lymph nodes. The most common cause of swollen lymph nodes is called reactive lymphadenopathy, because it occurs as a reaction to a germ or infection. Without the report, I cannot say that this was seen, but since your doctor thought that the antibiotics would help, that is consistent with a reactive lymphadenopathy. Certainly, TB also can cause swollen lymph nodes, although we do not see a much TB as was formerly seen. If there is a question of whether someone has TB, the usual first tests would be a skin test and a chest x-ray. Without the ultrasound report, it is difficult to provide more details, but it sounds like the lump is considered to likely be of thyroid origin, and the biopsy would be the appropriate next step. A persistent swollen lymph node also may need to be biopsied, but there is less urgency if the lymph nodes on the ultrasound appears to be reactive. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** very helpful. I am able to request my test results, if I can get hold of them I will send them over to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One other thing, is the sickness and nausea a result of the swollen lymph nodes do you think or related to the lump? Is thee anything more I can do to help myself while I wait for the biopsy MRI and next ultra sound? The nausea is affecting my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
*there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you by the way, for your prompt and detailed response.
Nausea is a common non-specific symptom, but is more likely related to the swollen lymph nodes. It certainly would be OK to take a medicine that may help ease symptoms while awaiting the evaluation. The best that is available over the counter would be diphenhydramine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
You are most welcome.