Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I recently received an ECG result that said 'Sinus rhythm,

Hi. I recently received an ECG result that said 'Sinus rhythm, rate 81' and 'RSR in V1, could be normal variant'. Could you explain this result please? Is this a normal, healthy result? Or does it require follow up? Some sources online say it is perfectly normal and others say it can indicate serious issues such as Brugada Syndrome. Many thanks. Stephen
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query,What symptoms do you have and why have you done this EKG for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was for a medical check up a while ago. I had no symptoms at the time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are they right to conclude it is a normal variant?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the reply,If you have no symptoms and heart problems previously diagnosed and normal medical check up then they are right that it is is normal and no further followup is required.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dr. So this RSR in V1 is normal? And other signs would have been picked up on the EKG if it was a serious issue?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Yes you are right. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. My final question, as this is seen as harmless by doctors, what else could have caused this result? I am quite thin, and would have been doing a decent amount of exercise at the time
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Most of the population who have this pattern do not have any cause it is just idiopathic that is its cause is not known, may be genetic. As far as you do not have any symptoms nothing to worry about.Positive rating would be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for that. I was just a bit concerned when I saw that RSR in V1 result. Just wanted to make sure it is normal for 30 year old male to get that result