Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have had a cough since the 8th January. It has been a dry

I have had a cough since the 8th January. It has been a dry cough and intermittent. Just recently some of the the coughing has been severe and has now become productive. The sputum appears to be purulent and bloodstained, not that there is frank blood visible but the colour is 'pink'. Earlier this week I have tried to obtain a doctor's appointment but have failed to do so, being advised to try once my GP returns from holiday which will be Tuesday 8th. It could be that I'll obtain a consultation sometime on Wednesday but this is not for certain.
I am a 77 year old diabetic male and am becoming a little disturbed. What can you advise? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Indeed concerning.Just viral infection related cough will not cause blood stained sputum persistently.Also your cough intensity worsened.THis suggests bacterial pneumonia.Mycoplasma pneumonia is likely given dry cough also known as walking pneumonia.Antibiotic course should be started soon.Azithromycin for 5 days will be fine.Please go to the local A & E if possible.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/