Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am very worried, today I noticed that I cut my ear

Hello, I am very worried, today I noticed that I cut my ear lobe whilst I was asleep and there was blood all over the pillow, and just now I was on my phone to my disabled mother, and I had the phone on the cut ear and was holding it by my chin as was clearing the kitchen as I was talking, I went to the bin to put something in the bin when my phone slipped and fell into the bin, without thinking I picked it up and put the phone back to my cut ear and carried on talking, but I suddenly thought that my hairdresser had been today and she used the bathroom and asked if she could put a used sanitary towel in my bin, if the phone had touched the used sanitary towel or tampon, and the phone had blood from that, then when I put it against my cut ear, is this a risk of HIV infection??
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionThis is zero risk.HIV is not tranbsmitted this wayyou are fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So also if I had taken something from the bin like a new tea bag I used after throwing it away accidentally, and I have an open sore in my mouth, would this be a risk of HIV if the sanitary towel was fresh in there? Do I need testing?
No, HIV is not transmitted this way.Not possibleYou do not need testing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that because the virus would die immediately?
and you need a huge gaping wound to even have a chance. A needle stick from an HIV infected person is only 3/1000 so the risk here is negligible
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So even if someone ate something from the bin that had touched the tampon, it would be Zero risk. Or when I was running today I trod on a used condom and walk into the house and my bedroom before taking my shoes off, would the virus from the semen be dead, if any got on my shoes. I am so worried
You are over thinking thisHIV doesn't transmit this way
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did drop my mobile phone outside A and E where there was lots of blood and I have held that to the cut on my ear is that a risk from HIV?
Yes your right Dr I am now becoming Obsessed with this, sorry.
You are no risk.you are fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr I am now worrying that my t shirt fell on my running shoes which trod on a used condom and I have a fresh scar from having my gall bladder removed in late December, does this pose an HIV infection risk or do I have to get a grip on this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also if I was to eat something out of the bin with the sanitary towel in and I had a sore or cut in my mouth would this be a risk for HIV infection??
Nope.
You clearly have HIV anxiety. You need to get help for this
Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)If you have more questions, just reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Dr but this morning I am in a panic and can't stop shaking. The postman delivered the post and on one the envelopes was what looked like blood I did not see this till after I had bathed my ear which was bleeding last night again and I had not washed my hands after touching the envelope with blood on it and I had touched my ear which started to bleed again, also I used a pen and that had touched the envelope with the blood and that had touched my ear to. Could I get HIV from the blood on the envelope if some it got into the cut in my ear??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I had been to the bathroom and wiped my private parts after Touching the blood on the envelope is this a HIV infection risk too?
Let's get an additional services going and I can talk you through it for a long time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mums neighbour who is gay, has a beautiful cat, but today she scratched me, if she scratched him then me, there could be my mums neighbours blood in the cats claws and then the cat scratched me and I could be infected with HIV now is this possible?
Additional services
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello sorry I have spent several thousand pounds over the past three years and I cannot afford anymore. sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr please can you help me, because I am on a huge waiting list for help and Cognitive therapy with my OCD, I have been reading a self help book, so today I comtaminated myself by putting an apple in the kitchen bin and I took it out and without washing it I ate it! Now I am in a panic because my hairdresser who cut my hair asked if she could put a used sanitary towel or tampon in the bin, I forgot she had done this, since having Chemotherapy I have had sores and ulcers, and cuts in my mouth, do you think if the apple touched the sanitary tampon or towel I could have HIV infection?
You cannot get HIV this wayit is impossible
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My glasses are always falling off and they often fall in the bin or the street, if they fell on the used sanitary towel in the bin or blood or body fluids, could l get infected with HIV if blood or body fluids get into the eyes ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or from treading on a used condom and touching my shoes then a fresh cut?
No you can't get it from fomites
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long does the virus stay alive on surfaces or knives, cheese graters. Needles or anything that someone can cut themselves on and somebody else could injure themselves afterwards or cross contamination could happen??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And should I wash new clothes like trousers or new underwear before I wear them, because someone else could have tried them on, and could cross contamination of HIV happen?
How long does the HIV virus stay alive on clothes? And how long does the HIV virus stay alive on surfaces like knives, cheese graters, needles or any other sharp surface that someone could cut themselves on, then I could cut myself afterwards, can cross contamination of HIV happen like this?
you don't need to obsess or wash things. YOu won't get it from normal everyday items
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if someone cut themselves on a knife, then I did, this is not a HIV risk? Even if there was an exchange of blood?
well that is yes. but still low
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I am always cutting myself on knives, this could have happened should be tested? How long would the blood have been on the knife before the HIV virus is inactivated?
Also I used my daughters ear phone when I had a cut earlobe, all her friends at college use them and many of them have piercings in their ears and they also could have cuts blood could have got on the earphones and then I used them with a cut ear, is this a risk from HIV?
No that is not a riskAnd HIV lasts less than 24 hours
the bigger question is why are you always cutting yourself on knives?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ever since I broke my wrist 18 Months ago I have been very clumsy as I don't have the strength I use to.
If my cats scratch someone with HIV then they scratch me is this a risk of HIV infection??
NO
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And how long does a gallbladder removal scar take to heal, I had it done in late December 2015??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I have asked so many questions but, today I went to the shops and the shop assistant had cuts on their hands which were not covered up. I went home and didn't think about it, I ate the fresh bread and it was very crusty and I cut inside my mouth on the crust, now the shop owner had touched the bread with cuts on their hands, could this be a risk of HIV infection? If their blood from their cuts had got into my cut inside my mouth ?
I will try not to ask any more questions. sorry.
No risk here either
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I don't need to be tested after cutting myself on knives even if the the that cleans could have done before me ?
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or pricking myself on a staple, or knife straight after someone else
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or if there was blood on my phone after dropping it in the street and there was blood on the floor and rubbing my eyes or getting into a cut on my face or ear. Sorry my anxiety is getting out of control.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can HIV be spread through cactus or rose thorns if someone else pricks themselves then I prick myself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My cat has scratched me and caught me in the eye, if my cat had scratched someone else is this a risk of HIV ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If my cat scratched someone with HIV then scratched me on either my skin or my eye am I at risk from HIV ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Goodbye Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry for all this I hope I haven't annoyed you. I will try and get better and beat this OCD. Sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really just pricked my finger on a staple pin on a packet that I got today from the chemist, I am really worried about this, if someone else pricked themselves before me and their blood was it and them I pricked myself, please answer this question and I don't care if you don't answer the others please please tell me I am OK. Please them I won't bother you again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will somebody just answer my last question about pricking my finger with a staple and I am worried that someone else could have done so before me and I am now infected with HIV. The prick was deep and my finger/thumb bled.