Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I had a bad cold 5 weeks ago, last two weeks I have

Customer Question

I had a bad cold 5 weeks ago, for the last two weeks I have been very hard of hearing. I have tried warm olive oil, inhaling steam, to no avail. I have been given tablets from the chemist (decongestant) and so far no luck. Any help would be appreciated
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.A cold should not last for this long a period of time.Usually symptoms of a cold go away in about a week or two at the most.There is a tube that connects the ear to the throat which is called as the eustachian tube that can become blocked when there is a respiratory infection.To open up that tube decongestants are given.If these do not work then you may require stronger prescription medications along with a course of an antibiotic if there is a superadded bacterial infection.Therefore I would strongly recommend that you be seen for this to get prescription medications to help with your symptoms.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloDo not try decongestants first on your own. In fact, question that as a solution of any doctor that says it alone will help.This approach can make the situation worse in some cases, by actually drying up eustachian tubes and not letting them drain.IN addition, you have hearing loss, which is a potential emergency here. This is most important.Go right to A&E....right now. Do not wait. Do not wait on an appointment, which as you known, can take days or weeks.In many cases an oral prednisone taper must be given , often along with antibiotics, to prevent hearing loss. I am a double board certified clinical doctor.Find me, Dr. Thomas, in medical anytime for correct answers.Please click a positive on this page.Come back as needed.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Thomas has endorsed what I said. You should be seen for this and you will likely require prescription medications i.e. an antibiotic along with other medications.If your symptoms are severe you can be seen in the emergency. If you can get an early appointment get an appointment with your doctor.