DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have had a stiff neck and sore throat with small white spots

Customer Question

I have had a stiff neck and sore throat with small white spots for almost 5 weeks now. Local Drs prescribed penicillin 4 times a day for 10days. At 10 days now and no change. Also now have sore around meatus and testicles seem very tender.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidyou could have a viral pharyngitis which would not respond to antibiotics.if you have a runny nose and post nasal drip, mucus from your sinuses can irritate your throat and cause sore throat.this would be treated with allergy medications and steroid nasal sprays.you should also gargle with salt water daily.if you are not drinking enough water and drinking caffeine or alcohol, this can cause bladder and urethral irritationlack of sexual activity can cause swelling of the spermatic duct and cause tenderness in your testicle.mild viral epididymitis infection in your testicle can cause testicular tenderness.do you have runny nose or post nasal drip symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My nose started to run about 3 days ago and has cleared now. But the previous weeks ive not had any cold symptoms at all.
Ive changed to decaf tea and dont drink alcohol.
I need to urinate after every drink too
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you could have a bladder infection causing your symptoms.you should see a doctor and get your urine checked for bacterial infection.you could have a small bladder stone irritating your bladder or urethra.you could have a mild prostate infection which can cause prostate enlargement and slow urine flow and difficulty with emptying your bladder and frequent urination.do you have acid reflux? this can cause sore throat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not having any trouble emptying my bladder as flow is normal and always plenty.
I tried gaviscon for a few days as throat was burning but made no difference.
Do you think i should attend the walk in surgery tomorrow or wait until monday and get an appointment with the nurse practitioner at my local dr surgery. I made a drs appointment today but its not until 23rd march.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I think you can wait until monday to see your nurse practitioner at your local doctors office.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThe possibilities you don't want to miss here are as follows.Strep throat that was resistant to the antibiotic you had.This can happen with regular penicillin. They were clearly treating you for strep.When not effectively treated, strep can cause other problems.A stiff neck.A stiff neck demands an evaluation, particularly in the face of any infection.Even viral meningitis can be harmful.So, I suggest you be seen today.I am a double board certified clinical doctor. WE can not examine you, and I don't think it would be safe for me to tell you to wait for an exam.lPlease click a positive.Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the antibiotics ive had.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Yes this is penicillin as I surmised.This supports my answer.They were treating you for strep.Please click a positive on this answer [we are only paid per positive, not the time we spend, also for bonuses]. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I attended our local Gp surgery and saw one of the nurses as there was no doctor available. She thought I have thrush in my throat and precribed Nistan drops to take orally and recommended Canisten cream for my penis.
The cream has stopped the itch and the redness is going but Nistan has made no diffrrence to my throat. Still red and sore and rear of neck is still stiff. I started using the Nistan on Monday eve. Its now Friday morning. Is it too soon to see results from Nistan?
Regards Jim
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HiNormally, if one has thrush, this is easily confirmed by looking at a swab under the microscope.As far as treatment results, you should be noticing improvement within 3 to 5 days.I would have cultured the throat.A stiff neck is not common with thrush.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will go back on Monday if no improvement. I am feeling better in myself. The stiff neck is still there but doesnt hurt but can still feel 'grating' when moving head. Testicle soreness is almost gone too.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
That sounds reasonable.The white area on the tongue could be thrush.If you want to go into thrush specifically, how to prevent it, what it means, etc....find me by request in medical, using "for Dr. thomas only" in the title. Use a request lock.