Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Looking on a mole my husband has noticed on his

Looking for advice on a mole my husband has noticed on his leg.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Could you attach a picture of the mole?Do you have a specific question about the mole?Has there been any recent changes in the mole?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes i have attached a picture.My husband thinks its maybe a new mole, its very small dark i colour with a slight red ring around it.We know moles can appear but wondered if you thought it looked abnormal?Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its not very big i can put a cotton bud over the top and it covers it.
Thank you for the picture. The mole, itself, does not look bad, but the red ring around the mole is worrisome. If he has been picking at the mole or there is clothing that has been rubbing on the mole, that could explain the red ring. If this has been happening, it would be reasonable to see if protection of the mole will allow it to heal. A band-aid can be placed over the mole to remind him to not pick at the mole or prevent any clothing from rubbing the mole. If the red ring resolves with avoidance of any further irritation of the mole, then there is no reason for concern. However, if the red ring persists despite protection, then it would be better for him to be seen for consideration of a biopsy of the mole. If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats great thanks for the advice we will try that and if there's no change in the red ring we will make an appointment with his gp.
You are very welcome.