Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I went to bed as normal on Thursday night, then at about midnight

I went to bed as normal on Thursday night, then at about midnight I got a really bad tummy ache and then was sick a couple of times. Yesterday I couldn't go to work because the pain was bad. I only ate some frozen yogurt yesterday. Today I thought the pain was easing but it is still bad. I ate a piece of toast. Not being sick but just this horrible pain and stomach feels swollen. I don't have any kind of fever. I am worried. What do you think it is?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. The most common cause of recent onset of abdominal pain associated with nausea and vomiting is a viral infection of the gut, called a gastroenteritis. It is also common these symptoms to be due to a gastritis or other acid irritation syndrome. There are a couple home interventions that can be used to try to help with these symptoms. Certainly, acetaminophen can be taken for the pain. A medicine for motion sickness, such as meclizine or dimenhydrinate, can help ease nausea and vomiting from a gastroenteritis. A medicine to suppress stomach acid, such as ranitidine or omeprazole, can help ease symptoms from a gastritis. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Where can I buy these things from?
They are generally available in any store that sells over the counter medicines.