Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My mother has a cough and is wheezing. She also has a pain

My mother has a cough and is wheezing. She also has a pain in her shoulderblades. She does not have a cold, or phlegm. She has heart disease and had pneumonia last year. The symptoms have been present for 3 days, but the wheezing has only been in the last few hours when she was walking around. Please advise.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.This can be another pneumonia given her medical history.Dry cough and wheezing can be walking pneumonia from mycoplasma infection.Coughing can cause shoulder blade pain.Hence a clinical evaluation is recommended in the local A & E.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What makes you think it might be walking pneumonia versus bronchitis? Especially after 3 days. I ask because I need a good reason to take her to the ER and the time etc.. when she will not want to go.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Acute viral bronchitis can very well be possible.However, that is often difficult to distinguish from walking pneumonia without further evaluation.Given that she developed wheezing with exertion, and persistent coughing and pain ( can be sign of lung consolidation from infection), and past history of pneumonia and coexisting heart disease, make her prone for bacterial infection.Hence, a clinical evaluation is required.Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Very welcomeBest wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/