DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I'm a contact lense wearer so has been suffering with dry eyes

I'm a contact lense wearer so has been suffering with dry eyes for the best part of 2 years. In September 2015 I developed red watery eyes and whitish rings around the dark part of my eyes which why on for about 4 or 5 weeks. I also experienced pain in my eye ball. I saw an optician in October who advised not wearing the lenses for a week but also said that the right eye had signs of an allergic reaction at the bottom. I stopped for a week and it died down but the dry eyes continued (I use drops). Then in December I suddenly started developing itching under the eyes and within 10/15 minutes a rash developed under both eyes, well more like weird bumps so that my skin resembled a that of some sort of lizard. This has continued for nearly 3 months. For the first month the skin underneath became very dry and flaky then it has progressed into just a permanent rash of varying degrees giving my skin an also wrinkly appearance. In the mornings particularly my eyes are puffy underneath. The bumpy rash has now moved slightly up the corners of my upper lids and it looks as though there is also a lump in the corner of each eye sometimes. Sometimes when it flats up badly I also feel unwell but it is generally the all the time. I've seen two doctors and both won't refer me to a dermatologist for tests but have just prescribed 0.5% hydrocortisone cream and antihistamine eye drops. Please can you advise what the issue can be with my eyes and whether this is linked to what started 5 months ago? I just want to find the cause and end what seems like Nevendon eye problems when I've never had it before.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidit sounds like you are having new seasonal or environmental allergies which can cause itchy eyes and tearing and red watery eyes.sometimes mold allergies or animal fur or dust allergies can cause these symptoms as well.the lumps in the corner of the eyes can be from blocked tear ducts or from you rubbing your eyes.you might need to be on oral allergy pills or a course of oral steroids to help your eyes.let me know if you have questions.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloPlease attach a picture and this way I can give you the most accurate answer.AS you state: For the first month the skin underneath became very dry and flaky then it has progressed into just a permanent rash of varying degrees giving my skin an also wrinkly appearance. In the mornings particularly my eyes are puffy underneath. The bumpy rash has now moved slightly up the corners of my upper lids and it looks as though there is also a lump in the corner of each eye sometimes.This in no way sounds like simple allergy or blocked tear ducts, which would mean your eyes would be watering all of the time.This sounds like eczema, psoriasis, or chronic inflammation from some other source.A sample needs to be sent to the lab at this point.This will help to identifyeczemapsoriasisinfectionallergyrare skin conditionotherI would have this done now.You might need an oral steroid taper, depending on the diagnosis.I am a double board certified clinical doctor, and have taken care of patients primarily for over 20 years.Find me anytime by request in medical. Dr. Thomas. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Thomas,I have attached some recent photos. I am now on day 4 of applying hydrocortisone cream and cromolux 2% eyedrops. The rash is subsiding but underneath the eyes there is still a general swelling. When you mention a sample do you mean taking a skin sample? Both doctors I have seen seem to be really against referring me to a dermatologist for allergy tests or otherwise and I'm not sure why. Also could living in a duplex basement flat cause these symptoms? My bedroom is in the basement but I have lived in my flat for 3 years. The are no significant signs of mould but I do have to tackle the odd spots that appear on my bathroom ceiling (adjoining my bathroom). I have only suffered these problems within the last year. Any advice/help you can give would be much appreciated.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
OKThere is nothing really descript in these pictures.If you are responding to cortisone then allergy, eczema, and contact dermatitis are the possibilities.At this point, if this comes back, then you have every justification to get the referral and have lab tests involved. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.