Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I'm suffering from knee pain and numb toes, and feel unsteady

I'm suffering from knee pain and numb toes, and feel unsteady on my feet. The pain gets particularly bad overnight and keeps me awake. I've seen my GP who prescribed physiotherapy, and have seen a physiotherapist who gave me some exercises to do at home. I suspect it might be quite a while before I see any improvement.In the meantime what is the best way to alleviate the pain? I've tried all of the over the counter remedies,such as ibuprofen ,paracetamol, ibuprofen gel, Voltarol, etc. To no effect. Have you any suggestions on what other things I can try,and maybe recommend some reference. I'm 69 years old,male, and have had this problem for just over two months.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.These symptoms suggest you likely have degenerative disc disease at your lower spine.L5 S1 disc herniatio is likely.That will cause radiating pain down the leg as well as numbness of toes.You will need a MRI scan of the spine and then a consultation with a neurosurgeon.You tried several medications without relief.This is indeed a challenging situation.You can consider oral gabapentin and nortriptyline to control chronic nerve related pain.These medications are not narcotic and hence can be prescribed by your doctor without reservations.Stronger narcotic medications like Oxymorphone or Hydromorphone are reserved for more resistant pain while awaiting more definitie management like surgery.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have booked a consultation with a neurologist Pawan Minhas at Spires St. Antony's Hospital Surrey on the ninth of March at 1500. He will carry out an initial assessment, set up an MRI scan, nd then give me a report. I will then be in a position to complete the asssessment
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
That sounds good --Hope you get well soon.Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've seen a consultant and he recommended a full spinal MRI scan. I have no further questions at this point in time
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Best wishes,