DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have a pain in the front of my left shoulder. It hurt

I have a pain in the front of my left shoulder. It hurt all last night and I kept waking up and is still hurting this morning. It's like a dull ache.
As I was falling asleep each time I kept jerking awake as if my heart had stopped. It was making me quite anxious. Any idea what this might be
Steve
Male
34
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloYou need an exam.The should pain can be arthritis, ligament or tendon damage.If it is intermittent along with the sensation of the heart stopping, it can all be related to a heart problem.I would be seen today at A&E, then follow up. A&E can examine the shoulder and do an ECG, which will measure the heart.You might also have two unrelated problems, such as heart rhythm problem and shoulder damage or arthritis. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ThanksI've had the jerks before I fall asleep for some time now, do you think this could be related? I stayed overnight at hospital where they monitored my heart rate and couldn't see a problem, this was about 6 months ago. Could it be anxiety?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
It can be anxiety.Jerks are usually not harmful.However, if you have not had a 24 hour holter monitor for use at home, and a shoulder exam, you need both.Please click a positive rating [we are only paid per rating and for bonuses].Find me anytime.