Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

My left eye twitches and my left cheek also goes numb sometimes

Customer Question

My left eye twitches and my left cheek also goes numb sometimes forcing my eye to close, it tends to be more frequent when drinking hot or cold drinks but can start at any time, this condition started a couple of years ago after a tooth extraction. I have consulted my doctor who referred me to a neurologist at the hospital the condition could perhaps be best describe as a facial palsy or similar. The neurologist sent me for a head scan the result revealed that a blood vessel was pressing against a nerve thus causing it to jump.
On my initial meeting the neurologist said he could help me by giving me Botox injections to help calm it down, he as now gone against that treatment and signed me off stating that because it isn't that serious I can manage. I need to be able to see clearly in my job, I have had my eyes tested and they are okay, what can I do it is so annoying and embarrassing at times when driving I cannot see out my left eye because it closes and waters. Who can I see to get this sorted, my doctor says it was made worse when he prescribed blood pressure tablets (Antenatal) so I stopped taking them, but the condition is just the same.
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.
Hello, You probably have a condition known as 'Hemifacial spasm'. The spasms can occur spontaneously or may be triggered by stimuli - in your case by change in temperature.Pressure by a blood vessel against a nerve - either the facial or trigeminal nerve is common. In your case, it is probably the Facial nerve since it occurred after a tooth extraction.The standard treatment is initially by medicines like Dilantin but if this does not help, you may need Botox injection to paralyse the muscles which are causing the spasm . if the blood vessel is the cause, then microvascular decompression (MVD) surgery of the blood vessels may be necessary.Recovery is usually good.