How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 64409
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

I can't recall when I last felt well and I would

Resolved Question:

I can't recall when I last felt well and I would like to know if the problem might be my thyroid. My TSH level is 4.48 mu/L and my Serum T4 level is 13.1 pmol/L. I've had extremely high thyroid antibodies for about 8 years. My doctor has told me to have levels checked again in 6 months time but I feel I may have symptoms of an under active thyroid now. I'm tired all of the time. My muscles and joints ache. I have disturbed sleep and very painful periods but the bleeding is becoming lighter. I'm anxious and irritable and feel cold a lot of the time. My weight is stable and I have a low BMI. For this reason I think my GP feels my thyroid isn't under active as I'm not gaining weight. My cholesterol is on the high side of normal despite a low fat diet. I don't smoke and drink only in moderation. My mother has an over active thyroid.
I was recently diagnosed with pernicious anaemia which is being treated with B12 injections. I often have low ferritin and take iron supplements. I found a lump in my breast recently and I'm waiting to see a consultant at the hospital. Can there be any link between these problems? I feel all of my symptoms are being treated separately and no one is looking for an underlying cause. I'm 44 years old and up until a year ago was enjoying an active life style. I'd like to go back to my GP to discuss thyroid function but perhaps I'm clutching at straws. Any advice please?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloI am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.By the way, I was ranked at the 100th percentile rank on the endocrinology section of our board exam.Depending on what group recommendation you follow, the TSH is abnormal when it passes 2.5, or 4.2.You qualify as hypothyroid.Studies also show that treating sub clinical hypothryoidism early is better long term in terms of outcomes.I disagree with your doctor and, given the hi antibodies which is hashimotos, you should see an up to date endocrinologist.Many doctors make this error nowdays.You do not have to be gaining weight, that is not a valid decision point.I don't believe the lump is related, but most of your symptoms probably are. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
ThanksSee my additional services offer and read it carefully. You won't get that information very easily, as it is forefront.Be sure to see an up to date doctor.I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.