DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

H/O frequent UTIs over years with antibiotic treatment.Recently

H/O frequent UTIs over years with antibiotic treatment.Recently sent for flexible csystoscopy showed nothing 800mls fluid instilled into bladder pre void Idid not feel it or have any sensation to void sat for ages eventually P.U.d post void was told 400mls still in bladder at scan.Had been told I was to have bladder stretch under.G.A.this is now cancelled.To see a nurse re self catheterisation.Have recently had renal scan on full bladder pre void 450mls post void 60mls.2 weeeks between procedures at different hospitals.Do I need self catheterisation I was so uptight trying to void the first time .Don,t want any invasive things. Can you please give me some info.does one bladder empty fully every time you P.U. I am not incontinant pass 400mls to 800mls 3hrly to 5hrly I double void a lot.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.You have a confusing situation hereIt makes no sense to self cath with a post void residual of 60cc.You are correct, this is not a lot, and it is invasive.In addition, they were going to treat you for interstitial cystitis, but cancelled this.Why?In fact you could be prescribed elmiron for IC and this revitalizes the bladder lining.I would get another urologic opinion at this point. What is the diagnosis, that is the key.You are emptying your bladder for the most point. Straight cath does not seem indicated. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
thanksalso see my premium service offer I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.