Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I had my molar (cracked) cleaned and it became painful two

I had my molar (cracked) cleaned and it became painful two days later. I ended up having 10 injections to get it filled and could still feel a nerve pain. I've just finished a 7 day course of metronidazole tablets but the pain is still there - it feels like a nerve is exposed near my gum. I feel concerned about taking more antibiotics - the ones I've just finished made me feel sick and wiped out an they don't seem to have made much difference. Could it be a trapped or exposed nerve?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Is there any swelling or redness at the gum?If not, then any infection is unlikely.This can be nerve irritation related issue.That can be treated with anti inflammatories like ibuprofen.Also narcotic pain medication like hydrocodone can be used for a week.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Basu. There's no swelling or redness on the gum. I'm not sure why the dental injections didn't numb the tooth if there wasn't an infection.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes the nerve supplying the dental root can get injured during the procedure.That can cause persistent pain for sometime.But not serious.Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help Dr Basu!
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Very welcome