Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a Baker's Cyst in my knee, which has ruptured, making

I have a Baker's Cyst in my knee, which has ruptured, making my lower leg very swollen (all this verified by Wycombe Hospital). Now want to reduce swelling asap: how? RICE? Elasticated bandage?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Yes, RICE (rest, ice, compression, and elevation) would be reasonable to help ease swelling, and an elastic bandage can be used for the compression. The compression and elevation would be more important than the ice in treating the swelling in the leg, although ice may help at the level of the knee. It also would be helpful to take an anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, which can help with the underlying inflammation of the joint that caused the cyst and any secondary inflammation from the fluid in the tissue. In cases with more severe inflammation of the joint, the doctor may choose to inject steroids into the knee, but if this was necessary, they would have likely commented upon this at the hospital when the diagnosis of a ruptured cyst was verified. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for that response, the delay in replying was because my work email system spammed your reply out