Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

I have been prescribed Premarin 0.625 HRT tablets by my doctor.

I have been prescribed Premarin 0.625 HRT tablets by my doctor. I am 47 and have been experiencing menopausal symptoms. On reading the leaflet with the tablets it says that usually if a woman still has her womb/uterus the Doctor may give her progesterone tablets as well. I have NOT had a hysterectomy but my doctor just prescribed the Premarin - are they still okay to take on their own?
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.
Greetings.Welcome to the site.Kindly answer a few queries.1) What sort of menopausal symptoms are you experiencing and are they mild , moderate or severe and decompensating ?2) Have you started taking premarin and if yes then have you had vaginal bleeding after taking it and since how long have you bee taking the same ?3) Do you have hypertension, diabetes, any medication of heart or brain or any other significant medical condition ?4) Are you taking any other medication alongside this drug ?I shall get back to you once you reply to my queries.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hiya thanks for getting back to me. My symptoms are night sweats/no sleep, hot flushes, general tiredness, brain fog and just feeling not me anymore. My last period was October 2015.I have no medical conditions and am on no medication. I only got prescribed the tablets yesterday and am due to go for a blood test (FBC, sugars and thyroid) next week.I have not started the tablets yetThanks
Thanks for the inputs.Well, you see premarin which is conjugated estrogen pill has some risk when it is used alone such as increase risk for cancer of uterus ( here comes the real dilemma for you since you have your uterus intact ) and other than this it may also increase for strokes, blood clots, heart attacks and breast cancer. So it's use together with progesterone is a slightly better since their concomitant use may increase risk of dementia in older age so if you calculate risk: benefit ratio between premarin alone against premarin + progesterone then the latter will come out to be a safer option and this point needs to be discussed with your doctor. In other words, premarin with progesterone is a relatively safer option for use against menopausal symptoms and this needs to be discussed with your doctor.Also, along with FBC, BLOOD SUGAR, THYROID PROFILE, ALSO GET SOME OTHER TESTS DONE SUCH AS ECG AND LIPID PROFILE TO rule out any pre-existing risk factor/s.I hope this helps.Wish you all the best.Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer. Will my periods come back with just taking Premarin alone?
You are in peri-menopausal age ( 40-50 yrs) where in the periods tend to first become irregular and then finally stop and when this stage is reached it means you have reached menopause. So the periods are unlikely to come back. This is normal physiological response of body at this age.I hope this helps.Wish you all the best.Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So taking Premarin will not make periods come back ie regularise my cycle again they will stay irregular until they stop completely?
Yes, you got it right.This will be the case.Wish you all the best.Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.Regards