Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My daughter has swellen tonsil on both sides inside the mouth

My daughter has swellen tonsil on both sides inside the mouth and enlarge lympnode in her neck, she also has white patches inside mouth
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Is she having pain in the tonsils?Are the white patches on the tonsils or elsewhere in the mouth?Is she having any fever?
I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back, so I will address a common situation and we can discuss further if it is something different. If the tonsils are painful, swollen, and are covered with a white exudate seen as white patches on the tonsils, that would be worrisome for a tonsillitis, particularly if there is an associated fever. In this situation, it would be appropriate for her to see her doctor, as she may need antibiotics. However, the tonsils are also lymph tissue, in the same way that the lymph nodes are lymph tissue, and the tonsils can swell in response to other infections. So, if the tonsils are simply swollen and the white patches are elsewhere in the mouth, then the swelling of the tonsils is probably a reaction to an infection, rather than the primary site of the infection. In this situation, the evaluation would focus on other types of problems, and in particular the cause of the white patches. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.