wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

My 23 year old daughter Emma has a bowel problem since January

Customer Question

My 23 year old daughter Emma has a bowel problem since January last year. She was unable to go to the toilet and has been to the Dr in Jan last year and they prescribed Laxido and return visit to Dr in one week. She took the laxido and returned within a week to be told it may not have had time to work and was prescribed more laxido. In February she returned to the Dr again with no change in her condition. The Dr again prescribed laxido checked to see when she had bloods taken last which was September 2014 and said she would not require them taken again. She came home from work a few days later feeling unwell and I took her to AE where an xray was taken and told her bowel was completely blocked and sent home with a months supply of laxido. When these were taken it made no difference and she preserved with the problem until June last year. When she seen the Dr it was a student Dr and she pleaded with her to take laxido again so Emma told her it was no good but again she was given laxido to take and at this stage there was no change to the condition since January.
In October last year she texted me to say she was feeling very unwell so I phoned out of hours when she came home from work to be told they would not see her as it was a problem she would have to attend her own Dr with in the morning. I tried to get an appointment but as usual none available therefore I asked for a Dr to give her a call which did happen in the afternoon and it was a locom who told her if she was his patient and because of her age and condition he would have had her sent for tests long ago and gave her a bottle of lactlose. The next morning I tried to make another appointment but none availabe so I asked for the Dr to give her a call which she did. An appointment was made for the following Thursday to have blood tests taken and the following Thursday to see the Dr who advised her that her bloods where fine and noticed that Emma was depressed. I asked for a bowel scan to be done so the Dr agreed to send a letter off and there would be an appointment within 2 months.
Friday two weeks ago Emma came home from work feeling unwell again, pain in her stomach which was very bloated, feeling sick, unable to eat, not able to sleep all night and no better on Saturday therefore I made an appointment with out of hours. She saw the Dr who reffered her to the Surgical A&E Dr who examined her, did an xray and told her it was constipation, gave her an anaemia which did work but advised that this would not clear all of the bowel and gave her more GUESS laxido.
I took the referral letter into her Dr and inquired about the bowel scan appointment to be told that it would be Jan/Feb 2017 before she would be called. I asked for the Dr to give her a call and she arranged for Emma to call and see her on the Friday. She was given tablets to soften the stool and a laxative and also to provide a sample to be tested. Emma has taken these tablets and apart from passing a watery substance she has not been able to provide a stool sample to date.
Can I just say on the very rare occasions she does go to the toilet it is like little droppings. She does not really pass any blood only from a slight tear.
Help I seem to be fighting a loosing battle and Emma is getting very depressed.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 months ago.
It sounds like your daughter spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on with her bowel problem. I am sure that her previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief. At this point I think the best thing for your daughter to do would be to gather up copies of all her medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that she could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.In the USA, the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you. I know that London has many such institutions.I know that it is going to take significant effort on your daughters part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.Does this make sense to you?I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.Thanks in advance,Dr. Rick MD FACS