Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Occasionally I check my blood sugar level (suggested by GP

Occasionally I check my blood sugar level (suggested by GP when I started suffering from fatigue). In an extensive blood test about a year ago the only anomaly was an increased level of insulin. Several months ago I was told to check the blood sugar for 5 days. On occasions, also including today, the level is higher first thing in the morning (110mg/dl) or before meals than 1.5-2 hours after (86 mg/dl today). This is not always the case though. Sometimes, like today, I wake up extremely thirsty and drink several cups of water/tea etc in the first couple of hours. Does any of this make sense?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. There are a variety of hormones that raise blood sugar, particularly adrenaline and cortisol, and when the blood sugar is higher before a meal than 1-2 hours later, it is usually due to a transient increase in one of these hormones before the meal. This is generally not a concern if the overall blood sugar pattern is not at a level that is worrisome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your reply. Can I just ask, what would cause an increase in these hormones?
Any physical or emotional stress is the most common cause for a transient increase in these hormones.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your halp and apologies for the delay. Just one final question, could the hormone increase also be caused by another problem? My GP is sending me to an Endocrynologyst as he thinks there may be an underlying problem (this was due to different symptoms, namely fatigue, stress intolerance, palpitations etc.) Once again sorry for the delay and thank you in advance for your help!
There may be an endocrine problem causing the symptoms, but these blood sugar levels are not an indication of an endocrine problem. The evaluation for the symptoms is appropriate whether you have this blood sugar pattern or not.