Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am constantly tired,lethargic,visual problems and wobbly

I am constantly tired,lethargic,visual problems and wobbly when walking...prickly sensations in hands and feet and tongue in mouth feels huge
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.How long has this been bothering you?Have you had any tests for evaluation of these symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last 6 months
Blood tests...slightly anaemic
Had a gastric bypass nearly 6 years ago so as a result of this have B12 injections every 12 weeks I now get no improvement in energy levels at all...also take Forceval tablet each day since operation...Nurse says my blood results are all ok..
There are many possible causes of these symptoms, and the first consideration would be a variety of metabolic conditions, such as thyroid disease, vitamin B12 deficiency, electrolyte abnormalities, or liver or kidney dysfunction. Blood tests are the usual method for detection of these metabolic conditions. If the blood tests were done for evaluation of these symptoms, rather than routine monitoring of someone after gastric bypass, then the tests probably included the tests for these conditions. Another unique metabolic condition would be if the blood sugar is low at times. Since people with this problem will frequently have normal blood sugars when labs are done in the office, it may be necessary to check blood sugar by finger stick at home during times of greater symptoms to detect whether the blood sugar gets low to cause symptoms. If blood tests are normal, then the next consideration would be a neurologic condition, such as inflammatory conditions of the nervous system. The initial step in evaluation for neurologic conditions would be a complete neurologic examination, and the findings on exam would guide the next steps in the evaluation, but may require imaging studies, such as an MRI, or nerve function studies. So, it would be reasonable to check your blood sugar during times of greater symptoms and to arrange a visit with a Neurologist for an examination, If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All I seem to get from the Doctor or Nurse is try Iron tablets for 2 months and we will re do your bloods again...in the mean time I am just getting worse and depressed...guess that mean more tablets....I have a phone consultation tomorrow with my GP...unusual but there you are...so I will see if I can have a referral for more intense tests.
It would be unlikely for iron deficiency to cause these symptoms if you are only slightly anemic.However, you can discuss further evaluation with your doctor tomorrow, and your doctor also would be able to review the labs to be certain that everything was checked that should be checked for these symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am convinced that poor absorption of nutrients is the main problem and not enough B12 in my system..
Thank you for your advice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it ok for me to update you on tomorrows consultation..it would help me to know your opinion.
B12 deficiency certainly can cause these symptoms, but since you are receiving shots, it is not an issue of whether you are absorbing oral B12. And the blood work would be able to determine if there is any persistent B12 deficiency.