Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have had continuous pain in my head months. It started

Customer Question

I have had continuous pain in my head for 15 months. It started at the same time as sudden deafness in one ear and tinnitus. I have been passed from ENT to opthamology, then to neurology and now to rheumatology. I have had 3 MRI scans, an arterial biopsy, a fluorescein angiography, hearing tests and blood tests. Nobody can give me a diagnosis and am now at my whit's end.
The pain in my head is always worse when lying down, worsened by exertion, stress or wine. Lessened by coffee. I am otherwise, fit, healthy and active and always have been. I don't smoke and rarely (even less now) drink.
Please can you tell me what I should do next I can't bear the thought of living with this pain forever.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
have you had a spinal tap?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I have. I'm not entirely sure of the results of any of these tests as the doctors/nurses standard response is 'it was normal'. I have requested the notes and MRI scans which have shown that a few things weren't normal. My brain has 'inflamed white matter, possibly ischemic'.
Some results I can't read as a) I'm not a doctor and b) bad hand-writing.
But I have the strong feeling that because it is outside their usual parameters, they aren't interested.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing I have been told is to take painkillers and that I may have to learn to live with it.
Sometimes the side of my head around my ear is numb, I have sharp stabbing pains and it is very tender around one side of my head.
I think at this point you have at least a component of it is a spinal headache.The way you describe it is a classic spinal headache
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had this pain long before having the spinal tap so it's not a spinal headache.
I understand but maybe the headache now has become a spinal headache. Lots of people start off with headache for one reason and it morphs into anotherThe symptoms you describe is a classic spinal headache
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I think you maybe misunderstanding me.
Does a spinal headache cause sudden deafness, numbness, bleeding in the ear, tinnitus and stabbing pains in my head.?
All of this I had before the tap and still have now.
I don't have a headache. I have head pains.
I think that is what started it initially but now I think you ALSO have a component of a spinal headache
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, but this doesn't address the symptoms which I had before the tap and are ongoing with no diagnosis.
The stabbing pains in my head scare me, and the deafness and tinnitus and numbness must have a cause.
These are the problems which debilitate me and nobody seems to know what is causing them or how to treat them.
I would argue that they could even be gone by nowFix the spinal headache.We know you have thatAnd then go from there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the spinal tap nearly one year ago.
I can't keep repeating myself but I will suggest it to my GP.
The pain in my head is relentless.
I will try anything.
Give it a try and let me know how it goesI hope this helpsplease don't forget a positive ratingI appreciate it
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning.
I have asked my question again but nobody is answering me.
The reason being is that your suggestion of spinal headache can't be right. Firstly because the symptoms are directly opposite to mine. i.e my pain (I don't describe it as a headache) is always worse when lying down. Spinal headache, the pain is worse when standing up and relieved by lying down.
I did have a headache for around 24 hours after my spinal tap, which was around a year ago, but that passed.
If you have no other suggestions, please would you pass me to another department, for example, rheumatology.
can you accept additional services?