Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Just been told I need to have a mole removed from my back.

Just been told I need to have a mole removed from my back. As I am going on holiday in a few weeks I have been advised to wait until I return in approx 6 weeks. Does this mean that the mole removal is not seen as urgent?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Yes, this means that the mole removal is not urgent. And this is true for most clinical situations in which a mole is recommended to be removed. When we are looking for changes in moles that warrant further evaluation, most moles are still in the questionable phase in which it may or may not be cancer. In those cases in which there is cancer causing the changes, it is typically early in the disease process, and there is no significant difference in outcomes if the surgery for removal of the mole is delayed by a few weeks. That does not mean that we will intentionally delay surgery for no reason. But it is reasonable to wait until someone returns from a scheduled holiday in a few weeks to perform the removal of the mole. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.