Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

12 years I have been conscious of the papillae between

For about 12 years I have been conscious of the papillae between my two top front teeth. I think I damaged it with floss or toothpicks when I thought I had something caught there. Now I feel it most of the time, particularly when I am trying to sleep, to relax, to practise meditation. I've explained to my dentist who says he can't see much there and not to worry! However, it is a real nuisance, particularly when I want to relax. Can it be removed? Please advise?
Helen
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Is it visible from outside?are you able to post a pic here?Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I can't post a pic - it does not really show - I can feel it just in the space between the two top front teeth and it moves when I touch it with the tip of my tongue
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Ok so this must be small piece of tissue an outgrowth from your gum.Not concerning.But it can be removed by an oral surgeon if you really insist on it.Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Basu but are you a dentist? If I do have the thing removed is there any likely problem that might arise as a result? I must say I would have liked a fuller answer than the one you gave
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would removal of this papillae entail? how long would it take to have it removed? I live in London UK - can I have this done on the National Health Service?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you reply please
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
The papilla can be removed or excised ( clipped0 under local anesthesia by injecting lidocaine.No it will not grow back usually.This can be done by an oral surgeon not a dentist.Yes it should be possible in NHS system.Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. That's much more helpful!Bye for now
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Very welcome