Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Please help need some advice. I suffer from Anxiety and

Customer Question

Please help need some advice. I suffer from Anxiety and depression along with having a underactive thyroid.. I had a regular test on Monday to check levels but prior to this I wrote my doctor a letter to make her aware of the fact that I had missed quite a few medicine doses so the test would probably show an abnormal result. I had a rough time towards the end of last year depression wise... She said when I saw her Monday if that was the case I would more then likely need to go back and get Re-tested in 8 weeks time,but to wait until result came back.... Any I had a phonecall from the surgery today from someone who was not my own doctor saying I would need a increase.. They asked if I had missed doses and I replied yes and tried to explain that my own doctor was aware about this and also what we had discussed Monday.But I don't think I explained it very well.
.After I put the phone down I burst into tears. So I phoned back and said, could my own doctor phone me to discuss my result rather then some random doctor who doesn't know me and my mental health history... So m waiting to hear from her.. Have I done the right thing???
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question.I am sorry to hear about your problem.You certainly have done the right thing.I would not like a patient to be called by a person other than their regular doctor.So it was absolutely within your right to call ask for your regular doctor to call you.I understand the emotional stress that you are going through and I would have felt the same way if I were you.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I really think my not taking the meds has caused the tsh to be quite high ...i had to explain to my doctor about it in a letter i wrote to her as i find it really hard to communicate face to face
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.
I understand.How many doses did you miss approximately and what was the level of your TSH?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i honestly do not know ,i think she said it was near 100
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.
If it is near 100 you CERTAINLY do need a dose increase even if you have missed a few pills.A level of 100 cannot happen with a few missed pills.The half life of the thyroid medication is usually a week which means that if you take one pill it takes about a week to get out of your system so a few missed doses should not cause this high a level, if you are sure it was around the 100 mark i.e.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards