Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I went to hospital Monday after having a bad cold and flu

Hi I went to hospital Monday after having a bad cold and flu which led to chest infection and rattle in right lung was given prednisolone 8 tablets once a day for 5 days and 500mg clarithromycin every 12 hours now i have an irritation plehmie cough which kept me awake most of last night and this morning is this a sign they are working or is it getting worse thank you Karen
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello Karen. I am sorry that you are feeling bad. The development of a cough productive of phlegm is not, by itself, a bad sign. It may be a sign that the infection is loosening up and is now able to be cleared out of the lungs. However, it is true that a worsening cough can occur with a worsening infection, but when that is true, there usually would be other signs of worsening infection, such as an increasing fever or shortness of breath. So, if the only issue is the cough productive of phlegm, that is not worrisome, and it would be appropriate to complete the course of medicines. It also would be OK to add a cough syrup that contains a medicine to thin the phlegm, such as guaifenesin. There are many brand names, such as Robitusin or Mucinex, but the generic versions are fine and what I get when it is needed on our house. However, if you develop other worsening symptoms, such as fever or shortness of breath, that would be concerning, and it would be appropriate to be checked again. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I'm coughing I'm out of breath but not having breathing problems but still know I have a chest infection, first 2 nights I did sweat a lot but not really last night not got great appetite but managing to eat something
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My peak flow was 200 on Monday but not sure what it is now
If you are out of breath while coughing, that is not worrisome. It would be worrisome if you are short of breath when not coughing. The peak flow is a good indication of bronchial disease, but would not be a good indication of pneumonia. Shortness of breath between coughing would be worrisome, even if there is no change in the peak flow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think I have bronchitis or could I have pneumonia?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The hospital never actually stated just said chest infection
It is much more likely that it is bronchitis, but the findings on exam would be more of an indication. If they only said a chest infection, it is usually a bronchitis. If there is increasing shortness of breath, there would be more concern that it could be a pneumonia.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you very much for your advice
You are most welcome.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.